Saturday, November 27, 2010

Anticipation

I will be the first to tell you that while it's okay, Christmas is not my favorite holiday (truth be told, it's St. Patrick's Day, but that is another post).   Since my birthday is just a few days before, I grew up being overshadowed by this holiday.

As I got older, it really stopped mattering that my birthday got forgotten in the craziness that ensues with the hustle and bustle of the season.  However, the season still didn't come to mean much more to me than the motions: cooking, eating, shopping, visiting family, practicing for Christmas programs, etc.  In going through the motions, the meaning was lost for me.  I spent so much time trying to cram everything in that I felt like I don't get to enjoy it all.  I normally end the holiday season exhausted, wondering where all of the time went.

This year, it's a little different.  Since I left the previous church, practicing for a Christmas program is off the list.  Most of the gift buying and financial stress of the season is gone because we have minimized our Christmas shopping as a family agreement.  And so, the season is slower for me.  This opens the opportunity for a change in the way I see it.

About a month ago, the boy and I started attending St. Paul's Episcopal Church.  I have talked about how welcoming and wonderful the church has been.  I even requested that a name tag be made for me, signifying that I plan on staying.  In the Episcopal church, the time leading up to Christmas is known as Advent.   Advent is Latin for "coming or arrival."  It is a season of anticipation and preparation for the arrival of Jesus Christ.

As a family, we are starting a new tradition this year: the Advent Calendar.  As I research everything, I researched the "right" way to do this.  Essentially, there isn't one.  There also isn't a wrong way to do it.  As with most everything in the Episcopal church, it is all about finding your own way.  Among their combined Christmas Decorations, my mom and her fiancĂ© found the Advent calendar to the right.  I had actually started to make my own, of which they were aware, and offered that one to us.   Answer?  Yes, please!

For our family, I have put a Bible passage on a card for each day.  I have also included a small goodie for Z on each day.  The plan?  Each night, we will dig into that day's pocket and see what surprises await us.  

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I am excited about the coming season.  I am looking forward to learning more about Advent as the Sundays of the season progress.  I am thrilled about starting a new family tradition.  And I am anticipating the coming days.  I cannot wait to see how the season unfolds and what it will bring to our family.    No matter how it plays out, I know that it will be wonderful.

Although, I am a little concerned about the lack of Christmas Carols...

No comments:

Post a Comment