Saturday, September 11, 2010

In The Middle

Having tired of hearing that I need to get some new pants (currently, mine are a little saggy), I thought that I would venture to the Lane Bryant Outlet store.  I refuse to pay full price for ANY clothes, and LBO had a sale on career pants.  Thinking this would be a good idea, I drove the 1/2 hour it takes to get there.

I should have saved the fuel and the time.

 It wasn't until I started trying on clothes that I realized I am between sizes.  It is one of the bad side effects of weight loss.  I have an atypical body type anyway.  Most clothes don't fit very well anyway due to the body that PCOS has given me.  I carry my weight around the middle, and I am smaller on top and bottom.  That translates to being hard to fit.  I am not big into shopping anyway, so it means I generally skip it and make do with what I have.

Today did not change that, at least for the time being.  I have currently lost enough in weight and inches that my previous size no longer fits.  Pants that I wear to work are beginning to look sloppy, and that is not a good idea for a professional environment.  Unfortunately, I have not yet lost enough to fit into the size down.  I have never been the type of person who will buy something with the hope of fitting into it.  If it doesn't fit when I try it on, it doesn't get purchased.

And so, I wait.  I will test it again in a couple of weeks to see if I will then be ready to purchase new clothes.  Nothing major, just a couple of outfits to get me by.

Because, after all, I don't plan on being in that size for very long either.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so here's what I've been wanting to write for a few days. It's nothing that's a revelation, but the fashion gay in me has to share. Basic premise: find a tailor!!
    Let's face it, most mass produced clothes (i.e. clothes most of us can afford) fit most of us horribly. That's especially true for women.
    So the trick is, find something in a color and fabric and general idea that you like, make a note of it's fabric and general construction, then call your tailor. Make sure the fabric is one they can work with (i.e. one that won't fall apart or unravel when they cut it) and then for usually about $10-20 you get a custom made garment.
    What's better is that as you continue to lose weight, the tailor can continue to take in and change the fit (within SOME reason). It's MUCH cheaper to spend $15 on an alteration than it is to buy new clothes.
    Now, part of the fun of losing weight is getting new clothes (so do some of that, too) but finding a good tailor may just be your answer to feeling and looking as fabulous as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I never really thought about having them tailored...that would save me immensely as I go through this whole process. Then I can save big spending for clothes later :) This is why I need you and Rachel :) I am fashion-challenged (to put it mildly).

    ReplyDelete