Saturday, January 16, 2010

Review - This is Your Brain in Love

 In This is Your Brain in Love, Dr. Earl Henslin examines the impact brain disorders can have on our relationships.  The book comes with five tests included that are intended to help you determine both your own and your partner's loive style. From there, Dr. Henslin describes those love styles and details first how to control the issues associated with that particular style if it is your own, and then how to communicate with your partner if he/she is of that particular style.

First: the high points:  I do like that Dr. Henslin attributes some of the issues we have as couples to issues that we might be facing in brain chemistry.  I think too often people attribute poor choices with a lack of personal responsibility.  There are instances where obsessive and depressive behaviors are simply not something a person can "get over."  I also like that Dr. Henslin both details the problems people may be facing in brain chemistry and ways those can be overcome.  He details behavior modification, diet, supplements, and finally medication as options for treatment.  I am very excited that he doesn't skip straight to medication as a fix all method.  Dr. Henslin also relates the stories of his patients in each of the five categories, which helps to put a real world feel to the information he is relating.

On the down side, Dr. Henslin relies too heavily on brain chemistry and less on the fact that people can still make different choices.  While I will concede that there are some instances where brain misfires can override good decision making, I would like to believe that these are the exception and not the rule.  Otherwise, it would mean that I have absolutely no control over my own actions and decisions.

I also had a difficult time relating to this book, as I didn't fit into any of the five love styles Dr Henslin details in the book.  Rather, I exhibit some of the behaviors in all five of them.  It was also difficult to apply any of the love styles to my husband, as he also had some of the attributes in each of them.  Without any definitive path, it would be hard to put any of the principles into action.

In addition, much of Dr. Henslin's book reads like an endorsement for Dr. Daniel Amen (who is a brain researcher).  The brain scans on which the test and theories are based are from Dr. Amen's research. In addition, many of the supplements recommended by Dr. Henslin are from Dr. Amen's practice.

In the end, I have to put this one in the land of the middle as far as my recommendation.  If you are able to relate either your spouse or yourself to any of the five love styles, then many of his principles could be put to good use.  Since I was unable to do that, I simply find it to be an interesting read. I am very drawn to

A note of warning:  if you are looking for ways to improve your relationship based on Godly principles found in his Word, you will not find them here.  There are biblical references as far as God's plan for marriage and the marriage bed in the book, but the actions needed to improve a relationship (from Dr. Henslin's view) are based on scientific research and not the theological variety.

This book was provided free of charge by the publisher as a review copy. The publisher had no editorial rights or claims over the content or the conclusions made in this review. Visit www.thomasnelson.com for more information on this book.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Robin
    Thank you for your review of my book. Appreciate your comments. I can understand how it would appear to be an endorsement for Dr. Amen. I do give credit to his work...and we have been working together for 14 years. Part of the problem he is the only neuro-psychiatrist who has been utilizing spect consistently for all this time.

    In terms of the supplements...I agree...the problem is the same. Dr. Amen and myself are the only clinicians that I am aware of that have spent the time actually looking at scans of brain, and learning which supplements hit the various brain regions. At this point his supplements are the only ones that I trust... that means also purity, etc. There are many supplement companies and what I find in using the checklists in the book, and the scans have found that some supplements actually make brain chemistry problems worse...I know as time goes on there will be more sophisticated methodologies for supplement management. Unfortunately today supplement management is done just like medications....without looking at the brain first!

    Unfortunately in a book of this size it is difficult to give all the background needed in terms of the above mentioned issues.

    I routinely tell people that brain chemistry problems do not excuse immaturity, addictive behaviors,selfishness, etc. I am responsible. What looking at now 14 years of brain scans has made me appreciate and value the work of the cross even more. God knows our brains...and believe me without Jesus Christ...we have nothing. No supplement , medication, or therapy will ever replace the need to deepen in our relationship with God!

    Thank you again for your review...If I had a little more time I would respond on the other issues mentioned!!

    Thanks again...

    With Respect,

    Dr. Earl R Henslin

    ReplyDelete