Saturday, August 13, 2011

Just Me

Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?
      Ian - What A Girl Wants

I was not born to stand out.  I am sure someone, somewhere would like to debate that, but I really am okay with it.  I have spent a great deal of my life just wanting to be included.

In barely over five days, I will venture to Lexington to see one of my dearest friends.  I haven't gotten to actually spend time with her in many years, so I am thrilled to get to go.  

While I am there, Rachel has planned a get-together, where I am hoping to get to meet some of my cheerleaders.  I am SO exited.

And SO terrified.

Many of my insecurities are rearing their ugly heads.


What if I don't fit in?  
What if I say something stupid or offensive?  
Will I make a good impression?  


Will they even like me??


These are some of my never-ending questions that are running on a continuous loop through my head.

At just over 30, I have basically figured out who I am.  While I still have my moments, I am fairly comfortable in my own skin.  I can easily be lost in a crowd of three and find myself generally unremarkable.

I'm just me.

But you know what, just me is just fine.

I learned long ago that part of being who I am is not trying to fit into the mold of others' expectations.  Like everyone else, there are a lot of facets of my personality.  This blog post would go on forever if I tried to explain "me" to the world.

So, I am at the point where excitement is overriding the nerves.  I am both giddy with anticipation to see one of my oldest friends (in terms of length of friendship ONLY) and to meet the newest ones.

Just them.  Just me.

I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment