Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Cutting the Fat

As I look back on what I've written, I continue to see a recurring theme:  weight.  Or more specifically for me, weight loss.  No matter the attempts made, the struggles seem to be never ceasing.  I feel like I've been dieting for the majority of my life.  And in reality, I have.

The issue for me isn't how unhealthy I am now.  While I am classified as morbidly obese with a BMI of just over 44, I have no co-morbidities.  My total cholesterol (as of last week) was 161, blood pressure was 100/60, and all my other levels were within normal range.  With the exception of the orthopedic issues I have, I don't fall into the normal problems most obese people have.  At least, I don't right now.

The question lately has been:  how long will that last?  I am, ummm, slightly over 30, and I do suffer from PCOS.  Without proper weight management, PCOS can lead to Type 2 Diabetes and Heart Disease: the number one killer of women.   Time to manage the weight, before it manages me.

It just so happened that a friend of mine mentioned he was getting ready to have gastric sleeve surgery.  I know others who've made the same decision, so I went seeking more information.

Our local hospital, a bariatric surgery center of excellence, has seminars several times a month for potential patients to learn the plus and minuses of the different surgery options.  Hubs and I attended the seminar, and after some debate, have decided together to move forward with reviewing the options.

I have thought a couple of times about if I wanted to share this or not.  I'm sure I'm going to get lots of "why's" and "well, can't you just DIET's."  I have also decided I'm not going to answer those questions.  I might get around to the "why" part of it, just as I detail the journey.

This is my family's journey.  I can't make a decision for anyone else, and I don't at ALL claim to be a healthcare professional.

We'll see how this turns out.


***Disclaimer:  this is not meant to be a substitute for medical advice from your medical professional.  This is for informational purposes only.  PLEASE make your own decisions, with your own doctors, and with your own needs in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment