Monday, December 28, 2009

Fragments

During a conversation with a peer today, it suddenly occurred to me that I might want to consider finishing one thought or subject before moving on to something else.  I make this change, quite literally, in the middle of a sentence.  It's as though my brain has completed that topic and is ready to move onto something else, even if my mouth and the conversation haven't. And then, if that isn't bad enough, I will then go back to the first subject, expecting my audience to completely understand my train of thought without any sort of explanation.  I am not sure if that is sad, selfish, or a little of both.

There is, thankfully, one person whom God saw fit to gift with the ability to follow this bunny trail rather accurately.  This person can take my randomness, digest it, and keep up with my train of thought.  I once thought that she was merely humoring me, but I have come to realize that's not the case.  Why?  Because she is just like me!!  Our conversations generally make anyone else who might be eavesdropping more confused than ever, begging us to please stick to one topic at a time before moving on to something new. It is probably the reason why I spend more time talking to my mother than I do anyone else on the planet.  I never have to explain myself again or qualify myself.  More than anyone else, she gets me.

It's not a secret language, and I promise we don't do it on purpose.  There is a lot to be said, however, for having that one person on the planet who completely comprehends you.  My husband, bless him, tries.  If he doesn't get what I'm talking about, he will at least ask for clarification.  I appreciate and adore that more than I can express! It's better than the glassy-eyed stare that accompanies the lack of comprehension that I get from most conversational partners.  It makes me wonder if they walk away thinking "What a fruitcake!" or  "Huh?"  It's okay if you do; I understand completely why you would. 

So, I am adding this to my commitments for 2010. I will endeavor to ensure that more than one person can follow my train of thought by attempting to get my errant brain into some sort of alignment.  I will make sure that at least...oh, 75% of the time the other person leaves the conversation knowing what we were talking about.  No more...umm, scratch that...fewer obscure references to things only my mom and I would actually understand.  Less fragments and more run-on sentences...well, at least more compound ones where the two ideas on either side of the conjunction are actually related. 

Of course, that being said, I am fairly confident that there will still be times when I slip up.  I will still think you know what I mean when I move on to another topic mid-sentence and then go back to the former two sentences later.  Please feel free to utter a simple "Ummm, you lost me."  I will do my best to stop, rearrange the fragments into complete thoughts, and try it again.

That being said, I am fairly confident that my mother will still be subjected to the same sort of bunny-hopping weirdness.  Why?  Because she is less deserving of the effort?  Because she somehow is getting the short end of the stick?  Nope.  It's because I am fairly confident that my wonderful conversations with her will continue just like they are on a bi-daily basis with no alterations or adjustments needed.  Again, why?  Because together, our two fragments make a perfect whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment