Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Shorthand of Emotion

It never ceases to amaze me how influential music is.  Music can communicate love, hope, peace, and faith. Music has the ability to cross barriers, be they racial, cultural, ethnic, or ones of language.  Music can bring calm to a storm, hope to the hopeless, and God to those who might not hear. It leads me to agree with Tolstoy's definition of music, that "Music is the Shorthand of Emotion." Sunday night, I was blessed to be a part of that dictation.   

For several months, the choir of LBC was on hiatus.  We did not have a choir director/music minister and, as a church, were actively seeking someone for the position.  As I do not have many talents for witnessing outside of what I can do in song, I felt the absence of a creative outlet fairly acutely.  I had felt like a piece of driftwood; there for an unknown purpose, simply being swept along with the tide.

Enter Jeff Campbell.

Having had broken my ankle the day before he was there to "audition," I had not met him prior to his arrival in mid-October, when Jeff came to LBC to fill the position of music minister/worship leader/choir director.   All I had been told was that he had travelled with Wings (with Liza) and that he was very nice.  Upon meeting him, I could definitely concur.  Jeff brought to our first meeting/practice an infectious energy.  Even with a very limited time schedule, Jeff opted to prepare a program for Christmas. It was certainly an ambitious plan; however, not once did Jeff's faith in what we could accomplish waiver.  He remained positive and uplifting, constantly reasserting his belief that we could (and would) do well.

Flash forward to Sunday night.  To say I was blessed would be a severe understatement.  Without the outlet of singing, I had been floundering and searching for a new direction. Last night, I was again reminded of the awe-inspiring ways in which God speaks to us.  For many, telling of their faith in Christ is second nature. For me, singing it is.  Where I would stumble with verses or struggle to find exactly the right words to say, music never fails me.  God always seems to give me what I need through music.  Last night, I had the privilege to sing with about 45 of some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. Each one, in his or her own way, brought something special to our program.  God was truly glorified last night through the lives and voices of those 45 individuals who gave of their time and of their talents to serve Him.  I am truly humbled that God would choose me to serve with such a wonderful group.  I am excited to see what plans He has in store for us next!  I pray that He will lead our choir to do great things for His glory and honor, for it is through Him that we are given these gifts and through Him that we will accomplish great works for His kingdom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment