Monday, February 14, 2011

Old School

Yesterday, while out and about having time with my boys, I happened to see a Blockbuster video with signs in the windows declaring that "Everything Must Go!"  I missed the closing of my local Blockbuster for movie deals, so I had hubs pull in.

I was particularly looking for a copy of Pixar's The Incredibles (which I refuse to pay full retail for now that it is several years old).  No luck there, but we did find several Indie films (for me), a NASA documentary (for hubs), and some Care Bears (for the boy).  For my take on "boy" things, please see here.

I have fond memories of the Care Bears.  The Care Bear movie was the first one I remember seeing in a theater.  I was on a mother/daughter vacation when I was little in Savannah, Georgia, and I felt like I was all grown up.

As my son watched the episodes in the collection to the left, I was taken back to my childhood and that trip.  To rushing out of bed on Saturday mornings to see my favorite Care Bears (Good Luck Bear and Hugs 'n Tugs) and Care Bear Cousins (Tender Heart Elephant).  My Care Bears went with me to watch their animated counterparts in action.

After he finished watching the first collection, he moved on to this:

This is touted as the Care Bears' "first CGI Animated Movie!"

Within the first few minutes, I began to wonder if this was a good thing.  With all fairness, there are 16 years between these two DVD's.   There is a push to move away from old school animation.

And it is sad.

As I pass each birthday, I look back on the things of my childhood with fondness.  Nostalgia takes over, and I grow wistful with remembrance of movies, music, and stages of my life that have moved into the past.

While "classic" Disney movies like Beauty and the Beast and Snow White are "Digitally Remastered" to be brighter and improved, they are not subjected to a complete overhaul with new sub-par versions of themselves.

I battle with how I feel about this.  I like the updates, but I am concerned about the potential for a time to arise when the joys of my childhood have well and truly passed away.

And so, I don't waste a moment.  I take every opportunity to share the loves of my childhood with my son, hoping that when he has children he will do the same.





No comments:

Post a Comment