Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cautiously Optimistic

I have mentioned before that I try to be an optimistic person.  I know there is much suffering in the world, some of it in my own family in Kenya.  I know I have been blessed.  

It's part of what makes my current assignment at The Company difficult to digest on some days.  I know it's your lifeline.  I get that.  It is important, however, to keep everything in perspective.

So, in an effort to get back to what I love (working directly with reps at The Company), I applied to work with the newest members of The Company's family (the new hires).

Internal candidate form completed. Resume updated. Impressive cover letter written. All submitted before the deadline.

And then the call.

I got a call last night telling me I would have an interview TODAY, as in less than 24 hours later.   Providing the silver lining is @bluebelleinbg, who keeps me centered in the craziness.   The bright side provided? Less time to stress.

So true.

I woke up, donned the suit, and planned to get to work early to pull data I needed, easing into my day.   Got Z up and dressed and on the way out the door, when I saw my first roadblock to an easy day.   The flat tire.

But, still a silver lining: I had a four hour drive between home and college and was taught before my first day of school how to change a tire.  Additionally, the tire was flat at home instead of out on the road with my toddler.    

So, off came the suit, on came the grubby clothes.  Hubs woke up and provided muscle and 12 minutes later, the tire was changed.   With the promise of a new tire by afternoon, I left my car in his capable hands, donned the suit (again), packed up the boy, and was on my way.

The interview went okay, I think.  I tend to be very critical of myself, and it is easier to think of all of the things I should have said instead of what I said well.

I remain cautiously optimistic.  I hope my qualifications and passion can outweigh my mediocre interview.  I would LOVE to have one of the two positions.  My caution doesn't outweigh my desire to be successful, it is just insulation to ensure that I can continue to be successful in the face of challenges.

And so, I wait for news.   We'll see how it goes.  Either way, I am prepared for the answer.

And waiting for the silver lining.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment