Thursday, January 27, 2011

Just Enough

A month ago, I received a very daunting bag of goo and some instructions.  A coworker of my husband's had sent home the Amish Friendship Bread starter.  I haven't had any in such a long time that I readily agreed to take the starter.

Basic info:  you add stuff to the goo on day six.  On day ten, you add more stuff, split the goo, add more goodies, bake, keep one of the new starters, and give the other three away with the instructions.  The smell of cinnamon fills the house as it bakes. 

I am now on my third round of baking.  Once you have given one away, that person now has his/her own Friendship Bread starter (and three more of his/her own to give away).   So, you have to find new people who want them.   Each time, I have wondered how I am going to find three new people to give the starter.

And each time, all three end up with new homes.

On the last round, I gave a starter to a dear friend at work.  Yesterday, we were discussing that it was almost time to bake and he said he wasn't sure if he had everything he needed.  I told him not to buy a lot of extras, I thought I had plenty. I knew I this was true of the baking soda, baking powder, and pudding needed for the bread.   I thought I also had enough flour to share, since he was only one cup short.

In order to have enough flour to make the new starters and the bread, you need three and a half cups of flour.  When I measured the amount of flour I had left last night, I had four and a half cups.

One cup extra.  Just enough.

To add to that, when I went to use the sugar from the canister, I had three cups of sugar left.   And what do you know?  You need three cups to make the new starters and bread.

Just enough.  


No comments:

Post a Comment