Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Introverted Extrovert

I am a people person.

Sort of.

I have never had an issue with speaking to people on the phone, which I suppose is beneficial in my line of work.  I like solving issues and working to relate to them.

The funny thing?  I have serious issues doing this in person.  Every personality test I have taken has labeled me as an Extrovert.  Essentially, I am supposed to be completely comfortable in group settings.  I should be thrilled with the idea of interacting with new people and working a crowd.

Yeah, not so much.

I am rather inept at those situations.  I don't mean to be standoffish, it's just my go-to habit when I want to prevent rattling to the point of being that annoying person.  There doesn't seem to be much middle ground for me.

A couple of weeks ago, I RSVP'd my son for the birthday party of one of his daycare classmates. It was a spur of the moment decision.  It wasn't until the morning of said party that I realized the full impact of this decision.

I was taking my son to a party.

A Pool Party.

With people I had NEVER met.

I still wonder why I did it.  I know I'm not comfortable in these situations and, truth be told, I am a bit of a hermit.  I like to be at home.  I don't have some overwhelming desire to be a mover and a shaker.

So, we went.  Z obviously had fun.  He is part fish, after all.  It also appears that when you stick 15 kids in a pool with a water slide their size, you don't have to worry about social ackwardness.

As for me, it was a little difficult.  I normally have the buffer person.  There is at least one person I know, so I am not completely alone in the new situation with new people.

This time, no buffer.  No one I knew.

Commence freak-out.

Thankfully, there was one of those extroverted extroverts who truly doesn't ever meet a stranger.  She was kind and chatty, making the discussion effortless for me.   Which works for me.  Once one of these highly friendly, knows-no-strangers people breaks the ice, I am welcome to go with it.

So, it appears that I will be attending more birthday parties and accepting invites for outings.  I am hoping that this might help me step out of my comfort zone and meet new people.  Additionally, I hope this helps Z become a little more outgoing and independent.

And that I learn to do the same.




1 comment: