Sunday, June 26, 2011

Transition

Tran*si*tion  [tran-zish-uh'n]  noun.  "A movement, development, or evolution from one form, stage, or style to another."

Change is coming.

In reality, change is always coming.   It is the inevitability of change that is, in the end, its constant.  You might not know what is going to be different, but you can count that something is going to be different.

My job is transition, literally.  90 days ago, I left my rotational position to join a previous boss in The Company's Transition department.  It is my job to guide the newest members of The Company through training and their first twelve weeks on the phone.

Fear. Trepidation. Excitement. It all comes out in Transition.   We have those who have worked in a call center, those who haven't.  Those who have worked with customers, those who haven't.  Those who will be successful, those who won't.  And it is my job to usher them in and guide them along.

This past week, my first Transition class graduated.   And my second class started training.

In the midst of this, I had to say goodbye.

My wonderful friend Scott is moving on to another position.  It's a perfect one for him, one that will use the skills he spent years perfecting.  He is smart and brave, even if he sometimes doubts both of those. He also doubts what he can do, but he should know that he will be amazing in the new role.

What's not amazing?  It is a position that is not in our call center.  For the last nine months, I have worked with him nearly every day. Joked with him nearly every day. Lunch, nearly every day.  Same trainings, same time. I have learned about Family, Librarians, and Betty.  And I have gained a forever friend.

Tomorrow, that will change.  Tomorrow, I am on my own.  Tomorrow, I am in transition.

I know my abilities, although I tend to question them.  I like people, although (as previously mentioned) it takes me time to open up.   And I know I can do this, although I'd rather not do it alone.

But, it is time to change.  Rearrange.  Rewrite the agenda.

I am in Transition...

...in more ways than one.




No comments:

Post a Comment