Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Beautiful Spirit

I have wanted to post some version of this blog for quite some time.  When it goes through my head, I battle with how I want to word it, how I want it to sound, and my own emotions.  I have started and erased this blog post more times than I can count.

So, what's different today?  Today I have seen so many people display their support through posts, pictures, clothing, and accessories.  I have seen many refuse to stand idly by as others are bullied to the point that they think ending their lives is the only option they have.  I have watched them display their solidarity in varied shades of purple.  Brilliant and bold.  Brave and beautiful.

Today, on Spirit Day, I finally found the words I have been longing to say.  And not all of them are mine.

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. John 15:12

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers all wrongs. Proverbs 10:12



I love people.  I have always loved people.  I have already mentioned my perpetually perky state.  Along with that goes a genuine caring about the well-being of my fellow human beings.  Color, class, creed, gender, sexual orientation, etc: none of those things have any bearing on who I care for or about.  If I take offense from a person, it is going to be solely based on the way that person and I interact (the reality is there is no one who gets along with everyone).   As a Christian, I take God's charge to love one another very seriously.

For a long time, I felt like I had to hide many of my personal feelings.  I felt stifled by those who use the Bible to support hate and judgment.  God is a God of love, not hate.  He calls upon us to care for one another, not to tear each other down.   Once, I thought that there was no one to support what seemed to be the contradiction between being a Christian and being open-minded.  I felt alone in my desire to really drive those around me to Christian caring without judgement.  I don't feel that way so much any more.

I have been blessed to meet so many who stand strong together to exhibit the love that should be the example.   Many who join with me in teaching our children that #loveislove.  Those who are brave enough to love in the face of ridicule and judgement. These beautiful people with their beautiful spirits who wore splashes of purple to remind others that we care. Those who share in my belief that enduring love comes in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and varieties.

Because in the end, the LOVE is the important part.

No comments:

Post a Comment