Monday, October 4, 2010

Bluegrass (Part 2)

When I was in high school, I worked at the Big M of fast food.  I also had a teacher whose belief it was that I would spend the rest of my life doing just that.  One day, he asked the class how we would pronounce the capitol of Kentucky.  "Do you say 'Looeyville, Loolvul, or Lewisville?' "  When he got to me, I politely answered "None of the above.  I say 'Frankfort'."

He wasn't amused.

There is just no pleasing some people.

But, I was correct.  And the capitol of Kentucky, Frankfort, is located in the Bluegrass region.

Visitors of Frankfort are welcome to visit the capitol building.  The highlight of the tour is actually the grounds that surround the building.  Immaculately kept, the gardens are home to beautiful landscaping that includes a clock designed out of flowers.  For understandable reasons, tours inside the building are guided only and do end fairly early in the day (3:30 pm).




For the history buff, the region is home to Fort Boonesborough. When Daniel Boone and company arrived on the Kentucky River in 1775, they created this second permanent settlement in Kentucky.  Today, skilled artisans keep the fort running to give visitors an idea of what life would have been like in the 18th century.  A newer addition, The Kentucky River Museum, is also here and tells the story of how commerce was developed on the river.


Henry Clay's home, Ashland, is also open to the public and is located in Lexington.  Guided tours are provided through the 18-room mansion.  There are also outbuildings (self-guided), as well as a permanent exhibit on Clay's life, a garden and walking trails, and a cafe (open seasonally).


Finally (for purposes of this blog, anyway) there is Duncan Tavern.  Located in bluebelleinbg's hometown of Paris (say hello to her while you are there), this tavern was a popular gathering place for pioneers in the area.  Currently, it is home to the Kentucky chapter of the Daughters of the Revolution.



I have it on good authority that a trip to Lexington should also mean a trip to Columbia's Steakhouse.  As the name suggests, Columbia's offers steaks, as well as chicken and seafood.  However, the restaurant's real claim to fame is its focus on the traditional fare of Kentucky (such as the hot brown pictured to the right...thanks managerflo for the visual).  I have also been told that the other must haves are as follows:  the Nighthawk Special, Flo's Sweet Potato Casserole, and the Corn Pudding.


Another area specialty that CANNOT be missed while in the Bluegrass region is Ale8One ("a late one").  This soft drink has been bottled since 1926 and was named based on one of America's first "name-the-product" contest.  I remember many nights in the dorms at LWC enjoying this favorite "smuggled" into our room by bluebelleinbg.



While I don't remember this other local favorite ever being brought to the hallowed walkways of Lily Hall, I have been educated that it is another "not-to-be-missed" item while in the Bluegrass region.  Mingua Brothers beef jerky is handmade in Paris and available at multiple locations throughout the Bluegrass.  As I am a long-time connoisseur of all things dried meat, I am a little disappointed that there are no stores that stock it closer to me.  Of course...there is always online ordering, the great equalizer.

 The Bluegrass region is also home to three of the stops on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.  Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Woodford Reserve distilleries are all located in this region.  All three offer tours and tastings.  Four Roses and Wild Turkey tours are free.  Woodford Reserve, the oldest distillery in Kentucky, offers tours for $5 for those over 18.  A more extensive tour option is also available for a mere $10. 










It is essential to point out that this is no way begins to scratch the surface of the Bluegrass region.  I have to thank bluebelleinbg, MJansenMiller, CanonChefTom, thommarshall, and managerflo for providing ideas and visuals.  More importantly, thank you for sharing your home with me.


If there is one region that pulls me towards it outside of my own, it is the Bluegrass region. It is home to my dearest friend and the new ones I have met through her.  The life and love of this region is evident in the fondness that they each expressed for what they love that is there.  


It is with a heavy heart that I move on, in blog only.  But the farewell will not be for long.  I plan to physically visit this wonderful region in the very near future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment