Monday, October 18, 2010

The Joy of Cooking

I love to watch cooking shows, and I am a huge fan of Food Network.  Food is like art to me.  The beauty in its simplicity or complexity (whichever applies) is something that draws me.  I love to watch the creation.  I love the image of a beautifully constructed project.

With art, I can only create it through the lens of a camera.  I couldn't draw a straight line if my life depended on it. And anything "abstract" looks like it could easily be made by my three-year-old.

With food, its creation can only be accomplished by me with the use of a menu.  I am, sadly, culinarily-challenged.

When I was growing up, the emphasis was on what was quick and easy.  My amazing mother was providing for two growing children on her own, so anything we made had to be inexpensive, easy to make, and even faster to complete.  We were never hungry, and I learned early that my mom was working hard to take care of us.

As I got older, I can only blame myself.  I still love food, I just never really got into preparing it beyond what I knew.  I stuck with the quick and easy.  Until lately.

I have suddenly developed this overwhelming desire to branch out.  I think it is due in part to the new meal plan and the increasing boredom that I am experiencing.  I am afraid that if I don't inject something new, I might just fall off of the plan.  Eating fish repeatedly is not keeping me interested in staying on task with this food.

Additionally, the constant images created by CanonChefTom and bluebelleinbg are inspiring.  I have to point out that there is NO way that I will ever be able to create most of those dishes (spaghettios are an exception). And that is perfectly fine.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

My first experiment was beef stew.  I went in search of a recipe that would stick to my simple requirement but still allow me to stretch my wings a little.  Traditional beef stew contains carrots and potatoes, and this one was no different.  However, both of those items are definitely off-limits for the meal plan.  The solution?  Eat around them.  I did splurge on the organic honey wheat low-carb bread but after 9 weeks of carb deficient food, I figured I was due a reward.

It was during this experiment that I discovered something:  I LOVE cooking.  While it took longer than my normal 20 minute meal, I found that I enjoyed the peeling, cutting, the creation.  The smells from my kitchen were warm and comforting.  And I made them happen.  I cannot even begin to describe the feeling of accomplishment over something so simple.  It was empowering.

So, I decided to try again.  I have for some time been enthralled with the spaghetti squash.  I love pasta, but I have to abstain due to the meal plan. I have contemplated the possibility of substituting something for the noodles for some time, but I really couldn't figure out what. And then I saw the spaghetti squash at the grocery.   I had no idea what would happen or how to cook this thing, but I was feeling adventurous.  I did a little research to find out how to actually prepare it and learned it could be the perfect partner for my standard spaghetti sauce with turkey meatballs.

And that is what I did.  I don't think I cooked the squash long enough.  It ended up being a little on the crunchy side.  I was too afraid of making spaghetti squash mush, so I cooked it until it came out of the skin easily.  While the texture was a little off from what my brain was expecting, the outcome was delicious!  Paired with my favorite broccoli salad, I came out with way fewer carbs than I would have if I had broken down and had actual pasta.  Add to it another feeling of cooking accomplishment, and it was totally worth the substitution!

And last, but certainly not least (or truly last), I decided to stretch my taste buds (and skills) and venture into the world of Tom's celery root soup that had been much touted by Rachel.  This one was a little harder for me (and hard to find, it took four stores to find the main ingredient - the celery root itself).  I had to force myself to be patient, as this one took some major time.  I didn't want to rush the process and the payoff was worth it.  I left it a little thicker than planned, as it will be reheated today and more stock added to thin it out.  I also now own an immersion blender, meaning the first time won't be the last.  I didn't eat the soup until tonight.  I initially tried it on its own, and it was a little on the sweet side for me.  So, I took the advice in the recipe optionals and added sour cream to cut the sweetness a little.  One word:  divine.  The taste matched the smell that had overtaken my house last night.

I can say with a great deal of certainty that this would never be my career.  I still need to work on patience and realizing that some of the best rewards come to those who wait.  But I do know that there is joy in the process.

And satisfaction in the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment