Sunday, December 19, 2010

Lessons and Carols

When it comes to Christmas carols, I am a traditionalist.  I love Bing and Nat.  I enjoy the simple melodies of Oh Come, All Ye Faithful and O Come, O Come Emmanuel. 

For the last couple of weeks, I have seen the Lessons and Carols in the announcements.  For once, I actually didn't research it (I know, right?).  I don't think I actually made a final decision about going until after service this morning.  Mrs. Jo  is a wonderful, wonderful lady at St. Paul's to whom Z has taken a liking.  She is so very sweet and asked if we were going to be there later.

That's all it took.

Z then asked me over and over again if we were going.  Who was I to say no?  Stipulation:  must have a nap.  It's been a while since he has gone to sleep that fast.

I know that society tries to teach us that life is all about excelling, standing out, and that bigger is better.

That is SO not my way of life.  I like simple. I like pure beauty.  I find beauty in all of life, not just what society tells me what is beautiful. I find it in nature, in watching a child learn something new, in an elderly couple with stars still in their eyes.

The service tonight was the epitome of beauty.  The Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols is comprised of nine Biblical selections about man's fall, the promised Messiah, and Christ's birth all interwoven with musical selections.  These musical selections are sang by the choir, children's choir, and/or the congregation.

There is little in life that matches the beauty found in the sound of a few hundred voices lifted in song together to rejoice in His coming.

Traditional. Simple.  Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment