Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Body of Christ

For anyone who has been to a Baptist church in recent years, well, ever actually, you are very aware of the frequency of the Lord's Supper (rarely called communion).  It doesn't happen more than four or five times a year.  Normally, you can count on the Lord's Supper once per quarter to be relegated to a Sunday evening service.  Now, I point this out not to be critical of the practice.  I am simply relaying it in order to draw a comparison later.

For the last two Sundays, Z and I have been visitors at St. Paul's Episcopal Church here in the Boro.  At St. Paul's, Holy Eucharist (Communion) is observed every Sunday and Wednesday.   In my desire to learn more about the Episcopal faith, I found a most wonderful reason for the frequency (beyond tradition, that is):

"God's saving act, reconciling the world to Himself, is so important and yet so hard to internalize that it bears repeating."

There is also the matter of wine versus grape juice.  I know the reasoning from the Baptist side. The fruit of the vine is interpreted literally.  As in, it came off the vine, went into a cup.  No time for fermentation.   Since I am not well versed in the Episcopal faith, I am going to take it at face value that the word wine in the Bible translates literally to wine.   It is pretty much semantics for me, as I think it is important to focus on the symbolism over the contents of the cup.

Reality or not, there was always an idea for me that I couldn't participate in the Lord's Supper in a Baptist church unless I was a member there.   St. Paul's makes it very clear that if you have been baptized in any faith, you are welcome to take communion.   So, on Michael's recommendation, I took communion the first week.  I am so glad he suggested it, and so glad I listened.

I am going to give you my personal take on communion.   Even with its prior infrequency, the act of observing the Lord's Supper has always been a moving experience for me.  I wish I could adequately express how taking of the bread and wine (juice, whatever) transports me to those moments before the betrayal and the ultimate sacrifice provided for insignificant me.  To a time when a man destined for greatness was trying to tell his best Earthly friends that his time with them was growing to an end.   Teaching them to create a ceremony that would allow them to remember those last glimpses of his greatness before he left to be seated at the right hand of the Father.

The first Sunday at St. Paul's, I was so afraid of making a misstep that I missed the preparation of the Eucharist.  This week, I didn't feel quite so nervous.  After having been so welcomed among strangers, I truly felt that no one would laugh if I happened to make a mistake.  And so, this left me freer to watch the process.

There is such...beauty in the preparation.  Instead of following along with the words, I watched Father Colin as he spoke them and prepared to provide these gifts to us.   At the pinnacle of preparation, he lifted a communion wafer, larger than those to be provided to the congregation, announced "The Body of Christ," and broke it in half.

I can still feel the chills that ran down my spine and hear the echo in the silence that followed.

When it was time to go forward, I didn't hesitate.  I didn't feel odd, I didn't feel out of place

I felt blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment