Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Farewell

Kwaheri!  Au Revoir!  Auf Wiedersehen! Slán Leat! A Hui Hou!


Regardless of how you say it, I am not happy to be saying goodbye.  


For the last few weeks, I have been doing run through weigh-ins.  I run in, get on the scale, call it to the nurse, and she then marks it in my chart.  I haven't actually set eyes on Dr. B in over a month.   This past weekend, I learned why.


While straightening up the living room in preparation for putting up the tree, I found a letter hiding amongst the coupons still to be reviewed and rejected as needed.  The letter was from Dr. B.  It was simple.  She has left the medical clinic where she was practicing.  The second page was a list of referrals.


I was stunned.  I had finally found a doctor who not only supported me in my desire to change my life, but who really worked to make sure I stayed on track.  I mean, the woman gave up her lunch so I could try something new for mine.  


She also kept me from rationalizing.  If I ate crap, I was going to feel like crap.  If I ate the good stuff, I would feel good.  She didn't let me use PCOS as an excuse to continue avoiding my weight issues.  She called me to the mat and told me that the only way I would change was to stop with the bullshit and change.


Might seem like harsh words from a doctor, but they were a welcome respite from the doctors who have glossed over my weight issues in an effort to be fat-friendly.  I don't need fat-friendly.  I need someone to tell me like it is and keep me motivated to stick to it. 


So, with a heavy heart, I go in search of a new doctor.   Requirements:  must be up front, friendly without trying to be my buddy, call it like you see it, and do NOT let me make excuses.


I will still stop by the clinic for my weigh-ins weekly.  I might be disappointed by the loss of Dr. B, but I am not giving up.  I am killing old habits and finding excuses was one of them. Dr. B might be one of the catalysts to the change, but I still have to do it on my own.  No one else can make me eat what's right for me, stick to the plan, and keep my butt moving.


Nope. That's all me.  


I will be eternally grateful for Dr. B.  She was the first doctor who really helped me take a look at myself and make the change. 


Farewell Dr. B.   A la prochaine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment